Manuka Wound Gel™
Melcare's Manuka Wound Gel™ is a sterile antibacterial honey gel made from Leptospermum sp. (Manuka) honey (80%) and a natural emollient for ease of application and patient comfort.
In Vitro studies (George et al 2007) have shown that Leptospermum sp (Manuka) honey is effective against bacteria commonly found in wounds including:
- Multiresistant Staphylococcus aureus
- Multiresistant Acinetobacter baumanni
- Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus (VanA, VanB, VanC)
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- ESBL positive Klebsiella pneumoniae
- ESBL producing isolates of Escherichia coli
- Enterobacter cloacae
In a 105 patient randomized controlled trial (Robson et al 2009) in which patients received either a conventional wound dressing or Leptospermum sp (Manuka) honey, the average healing time of the honey group was 29% faster.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
Melcare's Manuka Wound Gel™ is a sterile dressing made from Leptospermum sp. honey (80%), plant derived hydrocolloids and a natural oil.
Directions for use
1. Inspect and clean the wound using standard techniques.
2. Open by reversing cap and twisting off top.
3. Manuka Wound Gel™ should be applied liberally (e.g. for a 10cm x 10cm wound apply 20-25g of Manuka Wound Gel).
4. Manuka Wound Gel™ can be applied either directly to the wound or to a suitable dressing.
5. Avoid direct contact with the nozzle of the tube.
6. A non-adherent gauze should be applied to cover the Manuka Wound Gel™ with additional secondary dressings applied as required for absorbance of wound exudate.
7. Wound margins can be protected by a suitable barrier cream (Melcare's Derma Care™)
8. The frequency of changing will depend on the clinical circumstances and this can vary from more than once per day for draining wounds to up to 7 days for unsoiled dressings.
9. Manuka Wound Gel™ can be removed from the wound by rinsing with clean saline or tap water at dressing change.
Manuka Wound Gel™ is indicated as a contact layer for wounds such as:
Manuka Wound Gel™ provides natural debridement of the wound.
The wound may therefore appear larger after the initial dressing change.
The honey present in Manuka Wound Gel™ will be gradually diluted by exudate and absorbed into the secondary dressing.
Wounds subject to arterial insufficiency, diabetic conditions or signs of infection should be managed by a healthcare professional. Any experience of a reaction other than a short lasting stinging sensation, remove the dressing and wash the affected area. Not for use on heavily exudating wounds. Manuka Wound Gel™ is not recommended for body cavities. DO NOT use on patients with known hypersensitivity to honey. In the event of a slow or non-responding wound please seek medical advice.
|Unit Of Measure||ea|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Wyong Produce & Farm Supplies users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.